The first week flew by with lots of visitors, sleepless nights, snuggles, diapers, photos, and love.
Some highlights:
• Ryan smiled the day after he was born!
• At his visit with the pediatrician, at one week old, he still weighed 9 pounds, was 22 inches long, and his head circumference was 36 cm.
• 9 pounds puts him at 69% above the average weight for his age
• 22 inches long puts him at 93% above the average height for his age
• A 36 cm noggin puts him at 47% above the average head circumference for his age
• Ryan would like to be a "finger sucker" - he has found his pointer finger on his right hand and loves to suck it (that's what daddy used to do too). He was born with his hand next to his cheek so I'm thinking he found that finger in utero. Since he is going to keep after that finger, Rob and I would like him to try a pacifier...as our pediatrician put it, "When you want to wean them, it's much easier to cut off the end of the pacifier than it is to cut off a finger!"
• Ryan can easily lift his head and is a strong little guy! Not to mention determined!
• He has fussed but has not actually cried since the day he was born (and that was brief - just when they cut his umbillical cord a few minutes after he was born)
Grandma and Grandpa Brakke have been over every day to see Ryan (well, I think they missed one day) and are pretty darn smitten! They almost always come with dinner too - so it's an added bonus for Rob and me. Thank you, mom and dad!
Rob and I are getting used to Ryan's schedule and life is in three hour blocks these days (the frequency that Ryan eats). Nursing is going well and I think we're on the other side of the mountain in the "ouch" department. Whew! NOT that it doesn't hurt...but it's getting better. We're also getting a little more sleep as mom and dad settle down and trust we can sleep when Ryan sleeps - instead of watching him. Those first few nights we slept with one eye open and were up with any little coo or wiggle. It's MUCH better now!
Here are a few more photos from week one. I have more to put up as soon as I get them off of grandpa's camera. And I'll be putting up week two soon. Love to you all!





Some highlights:
• Ryan smiled the day after he was born!
• At his visit with the pediatrician, at one week old, he still weighed 9 pounds, was 22 inches long, and his head circumference was 36 cm.
• 9 pounds puts him at 69% above the average weight for his age
• 22 inches long puts him at 93% above the average height for his age
• A 36 cm noggin puts him at 47% above the average head circumference for his age
• Ryan would like to be a "finger sucker" - he has found his pointer finger on his right hand and loves to suck it (that's what daddy used to do too). He was born with his hand next to his cheek so I'm thinking he found that finger in utero. Since he is going to keep after that finger, Rob and I would like him to try a pacifier...as our pediatrician put it, "When you want to wean them, it's much easier to cut off the end of the pacifier than it is to cut off a finger!"
• Ryan can easily lift his head and is a strong little guy! Not to mention determined!
• He has fussed but has not actually cried since the day he was born (and that was brief - just when they cut his umbillical cord a few minutes after he was born)
Grandma and Grandpa Brakke have been over every day to see Ryan (well, I think they missed one day) and are pretty darn smitten! They almost always come with dinner too - so it's an added bonus for Rob and me. Thank you, mom and dad!
Rob and I are getting used to Ryan's schedule and life is in three hour blocks these days (the frequency that Ryan eats). Nursing is going well and I think we're on the other side of the mountain in the "ouch" department. Whew! NOT that it doesn't hurt...but it's getting better. We're also getting a little more sleep as mom and dad settle down and trust we can sleep when Ryan sleeps - instead of watching him. Those first few nights we slept with one eye open and were up with any little coo or wiggle. It's MUCH better now!
Here are a few more photos from week one. I have more to put up as soon as I get them off of grandpa's camera. And I'll be putting up week two soon. Love to you all!





3 comments:
Dang, woman, your boy is BIG!! But thank goodness he doesn't have Chad's head size (not that he would, considering he's not Chad's son). : ) Aidan's going for his 2 fingers, but not all the time... but I guess we don't have a choice in the pacifier department. Sounds like a good idea to start him on it! And holy cow, what kind of baby tub is that??? I want one! (See, I always want whatever Brooke has! I'm such a copycat!). Glad you 3 are doing so well.
By the way, the fussing will turning into real crying soon... just hang on and be ready. And those tears will start pouring... : )
So glad us moms can help each other out in the what works and what doesn't dept!
It is the Primo EuroBath
http://www.amazon.com/Primo-340W-PRIMO-EuroBath-Pearl/dp/B000056OV0/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1222878253&sr=8-1
Got great reviews and is flexible in that one side fits infants and then the other side works for a baby that can sit up. Should be able to comfortably use it until he is big enough for the real bathtub!
Post a Comment