So I was reflecting on how I broke our exciting pregnancy news to my parents back in January. But, first things first...how did I find out? And how did I tell Rob?
We were on month 12 of "trying" so we were all pretty used to no news on the baby front. The morning I took my test, January 3, I was only 4 weeks pregnant. I hadn't even had time to be "late" - but for some reason or another decided I would take a test (it had been months since I had even bothered). Rob had already left for work and I was just getting ready. I took the test, set it on the counter and walked out - no sense hovering over it like I used to do six months ago. I came back a few minutes later...saw two distinct pink lines and I looked at myself in the mirror and whispered, "Oh my gosh!" and began to shake a bit. It was hard to believe. I took another one...still positive.
I called Rob and tried to very casually ask if he had a minute to talk. He did and I immediately blurted out, "Well, you will never guess...but I'm pregnant!" I could hear the smile and excitement in his voice. I could hardly convince him that "YES, there really were two pink lines"...and "yes, they were BOTH DARK!" and "Yes, I was sure!" He asked me to "take just one more" when he got home that night from work. And as it turns out, the pink lines were telling the truth...we were blessed with a baby on the way.
Meanwhile, the holidays had just wrapped up and my brother, Brent, was in town for one last night. My mom had already arranged a family dinner for THAT VERY evening! Perfect! Hopefully I could make it through the day without spoiling the surprise.
I had been planning on breaking the news by using "the stork" that my mom loaned to me when we first mentioned we were trying to start a family. It is a ceramic stork on a nest with the words "Guess What!" across the bottom. My mom had given it to her mother-in-law when she was pregnant with Brent. It still has the little label on the side "May 1, 1975." I had been waiting for my turn to surprise her...and since it was just after Christmas I had the perfect excuse to wrap up a "forgotten" gift!
Rob and I had also picked out a onesie several months before in Couer d'Alene at an Irish shop. It had little lambs and "wee one" embroidered on it. With our Christmas paper we wrapped up the onesie for my dad and the stork for my mom and managed to keep our secret until dinner.
After we ordered dinner I handed them their "gifts" and said, "We forgot to give these to you on Christmas. They aren't a big deal, but you do have to open them at the same time - they go together." They did not suspect a thing! Watching them open and realize the news was priceless. My mom said, "Really? Oh, honey!" and came around the table for a huge hug for both Rob and I. My dad said, "Congratulations you two! ...(pause)... I'm going to be a grandpa!" We all had tears in our eyes and grins for miles. It was a wonderful moment shared...one I will never forget.
We were on month 12 of "trying" so we were all pretty used to no news on the baby front. The morning I took my test, January 3, I was only 4 weeks pregnant. I hadn't even had time to be "late" - but for some reason or another decided I would take a test (it had been months since I had even bothered). Rob had already left for work and I was just getting ready. I took the test, set it on the counter and walked out - no sense hovering over it like I used to do six months ago. I came back a few minutes later...saw two distinct pink lines and I looked at myself in the mirror and whispered, "Oh my gosh!" and began to shake a bit. It was hard to believe. I took another one...still positive.
I called Rob and tried to very casually ask if he had a minute to talk. He did and I immediately blurted out, "Well, you will never guess...but I'm pregnant!" I could hear the smile and excitement in his voice. I could hardly convince him that "YES, there really were two pink lines"...and "yes, they were BOTH DARK!" and "Yes, I was sure!" He asked me to "take just one more" when he got home that night from work. And as it turns out, the pink lines were telling the truth...we were blessed with a baby on the way.
Meanwhile, the holidays had just wrapped up and my brother, Brent, was in town for one last night. My mom had already arranged a family dinner for THAT VERY evening! Perfect! Hopefully I could make it through the day without spoiling the surprise.
I had been planning on breaking the news by using "the stork" that my mom loaned to me when we first mentioned we were trying to start a family. It is a ceramic stork on a nest with the words "Guess What!" across the bottom. My mom had given it to her mother-in-law when she was pregnant with Brent. It still has the little label on the side "May 1, 1975." I had been waiting for my turn to surprise her...and since it was just after Christmas I had the perfect excuse to wrap up a "forgotten" gift!Rob and I had also picked out a onesie several months before in Couer d'Alene at an Irish shop. It had little lambs and "wee one" embroidered on it. With our Christmas paper we wrapped up the onesie for my dad and the stork for my mom and managed to keep our secret until dinner.
After we ordered dinner I handed them their "gifts" and said, "We forgot to give these to you on Christmas. They aren't a big deal, but you do have to open them at the same time - they go together." They did not suspect a thing! Watching them open and realize the news was priceless. My mom said, "Really? Oh, honey!" and came around the table for a huge hug for both Rob and I. My dad said, "Congratulations you two! ...(pause)... I'm going to be a grandpa!" We all had tears in our eyes and grins for miles. It was a wonderful moment shared...one I will never forget.
1 comment:
That is the sweetest thing EVER!!!! I love it :)
Post a Comment