Thursday, September 4, 2008

6 Days and Counting!

I know I'm due for a belly shot - so I'll get one taken soon and post it over the weekend. Here is a little update on our end...

All is still going really well and we feel so blessed. We met with our midwife tonight for our routine appointment and she thinks he's around 8 pounds! I hope he decides to come sooner rather than later.

I'm feeling pretty good these days - of course I have my moments of fatigue, puffy and sore feet, and aches here and there...but it's nothing to complain about. And although my back has been achy over the last several weeks...between going to massage therapy, a chiropractor, and an acupuncturist (who did magnet therapy, no needles), I am feeling SO much better! So now I am pretty comfortable. Yay! We have also been going in the hot tub at night (I turned it down to 97 so I can go in) and it's wonderful to feel weightless and the jets may be helping my back too.

In baby news...we're getting closer to a name! We may not know for sure until we meet him, but we're getting down to a very short list by now. Whew! I must say, there are several names I would be happy with but Rob is a little more indecisive. So you can all blame him for holding up this process! Just kidding, honey! :)

As for Baby Judge - turns out this whole labor business is really up to him no matter how "ready" I think I am. He will trigger labor himself, by releasing a hormone that stimulates contractions. I'm sure there is more science to it than that...but I do know that he is at least part of it...hurry up little one! We're ready to meet you!

Fun and Interesting Baby Facts!

  • Babies are born with very poor vision (seeing about 8-10 inches away) but can recognize their mothers almost right away.
  • Babies are born before the skulls of the head are completely joined together.
  • Babies are born with a swimming reflex and can naturally hold there breath. But they short lose this instinct.
  • Babies are always born with blue eyes, within a few moments of delivery their eye color can change.
  • Newborns usually double their weight by six months.
  • By the end of the first year, a newborn normally will triple their weight.
  • Playing classical music, especially Mozart, will increase their intelligence.
  • Reading to your child (at ANY age) will increase their knowledge.
  • Babies can communicate physically before they can verbally. Subliminally, parents teach their babies some gestures like 'bye' waves, hugs, pointing and so forth. Research shows that children and infants who use sign language show stronger lingual development.
  • Puzzles are not only fun, but they promote your child's development in a variety of ways.

2 comments:

Amy Duncan said...

Yay, a big boy!

I bet he'll keep his blue eyes....

Best of luck to you in the coming week. I am thinking about you every day!

Heather said...

I was going to try to come visit you and the belly today, but my Dad's flying in tomorrow and I'm madly trying to clean. Anyway, I can't believe he's already 8 pounds!! You know, as much as you want them small and cute, it's better if they're bigger... they sleep better, they're stronger, and they're probably better eaters. I can't wait to see how big he is! And I'm excited you've narrowed down some names! I have to tell you I went to that site of the family that lost their new baby and I bawled and bawled. I was going to write them, but I thought it might be weird since they don't know me. I just can't imagine. It made my stomach sink, especially after seeing the great pictures Patti took. Will Patti be YOUR doula? Oh, I really hope your home birth goes the way you want! Good luck with contractions! Eeeek!!!!