When it comes to handing out advice and comments, welcome or not, everyone seems to have some wisdom to impart or a (usually horror) story to tell. Every woman who has been pregnant remembers this rite of passage. You endured the patting of your belly from strangers, the eyebrows raise about your "birth plan," questions and comments about your baby's name, and whether/how long you're going to breastfeed. (I'm sure this carries right into motherhood as well!).
Some things are sweet, others a bit shocking (thankfully I can usually laugh at myself just enough that it's rarely taken personally!) - but I find the majority is offered out in the wonderful spirit of others being truly happy and excited for us.
Well, I thought I would share a few things I've heard along the way...
• You just glow! (Loved hearing that!)
• Go to the movies now - you won't go again for years!
• Oh good! You're having a boy! They are the best!
• Oh, a boy? Maybe a girl next time, huh?
• You will be a wonderful mom.
• You're in maternity clothes already?
• Make sure you get some pacifiers - they are life-savers.
• Whatever you do, don't give him a pacifier. It's just one more thing you have to take away.
• You're getting an epidural, right?
• Are you gaining more in the front? Or the back? Let me see...
• So where is your belly button these days?
• Wow, 30 pounds is a lot to gain! (from someone who has never been pregnant...!)
• I can't wait to see if he gets your eyes (aww...so sweet!)
• Look at you! You're getting so big!
• Moms belong at home raising the children.
• Make sure you get on a schedule once he's born or he will be a terrible sleeper.
• You're not one of those scheduled c-section moms are you?
• Sleep while you can.
• You are the happiest pregnant lady I've ever met.
• In the past two weeks especially - I hear pretty much all day long at work, "You're still here?"
And finally, I was having some cramping last night and Rob asked if it had gone away. When I confirmed that things looked like they had quieted down he said, "It's strange...I've never wanted anyone to hurt before tonight." I love him! :) And we are so looking forward to meeting Ryan!
And my unsolicited advice to fellow "preggos" out there:
• Cherish this miraculous and special time of your life...
• Be thankful you are pregnant...there are so many people who cannot have biological children.
• Pray for a healthy baby...all the rest (gender of baby, how much you gain etc...SO does not matter).
• Stock up on T.P.
• If you can afford to, hire a house cleaner when you're about 8-9 months along.
• Become educated on pregnancy. This is your body, experience, and future child. Don't be a passive bystander in your own journey. You may be surprised at how meaningful this experience can be.
Some things are sweet, others a bit shocking (thankfully I can usually laugh at myself just enough that it's rarely taken personally!) - but I find the majority is offered out in the wonderful spirit of others being truly happy and excited for us.
Well, I thought I would share a few things I've heard along the way...
• You just glow! (Loved hearing that!)
• Go to the movies now - you won't go again for years!
• Oh good! You're having a boy! They are the best!
• Oh, a boy? Maybe a girl next time, huh?
• You will be a wonderful mom.
• You're in maternity clothes already?
• Make sure you get some pacifiers - they are life-savers.
• Whatever you do, don't give him a pacifier. It's just one more thing you have to take away.
• You're getting an epidural, right?
• Are you gaining more in the front? Or the back? Let me see...
• So where is your belly button these days?
• Wow, 30 pounds is a lot to gain! (from someone who has never been pregnant...!)
• I can't wait to see if he gets your eyes (aww...so sweet!)
• Look at you! You're getting so big!
• Moms belong at home raising the children.
• Make sure you get on a schedule once he's born or he will be a terrible sleeper.
• You're not one of those scheduled c-section moms are you?
• Sleep while you can.
• You are the happiest pregnant lady I've ever met.
• In the past two weeks especially - I hear pretty much all day long at work, "You're still here?"
And finally, I was having some cramping last night and Rob asked if it had gone away. When I confirmed that things looked like they had quieted down he said, "It's strange...I've never wanted anyone to hurt before tonight." I love him! :) And we are so looking forward to meeting Ryan!
And my unsolicited advice to fellow "preggos" out there:
• Cherish this miraculous and special time of your life...
• Be thankful you are pregnant...there are so many people who cannot have biological children.
• Pray for a healthy baby...all the rest (gender of baby, how much you gain etc...SO does not matter).
• Stock up on T.P.
• If you can afford to, hire a house cleaner when you're about 8-9 months along.
• Become educated on pregnancy. This is your body, experience, and future child. Don't be a passive bystander in your own journey. You may be surprised at how meaningful this experience can be.
3 comments:
I love the advice on TP...that is so true. Love the name. Best of luck to you and your husband. My unsolicited advise to you is that the laundry and dishes can always wait (unfortunately there is no dish/laundry fairy).
You have a great sense of humor about all of the advice! good for you!!! we can't wait to meet little ryan! good luck! :) you look fabulous at 40 weeks!!! oh and the last thing i was told before i had casper is that you can tell a woman is going to have a baby if her nose gets bigger!--weird huh!?!? cheers porsche appleman
Ryan. welcome to my heart. Ilove you
and thank you to to your Mom and Dad for the snapshots . you are one handsome young man.
Love forever from your
great great aunt
Quzella
Post a Comment